Saturday, February 17, 2007

Answering Hank Green's Survey

If you have been watching Brotherhood 2.0 where Hank and John Green have commited to not sending emails or other text communication for the next year, but communicating via video blogs you will understand where this came from if not...it still might be interesting.

1. Your name: Becky Rech

2. Your Web page: http://therechfamily.blogspot.com and work http://hhsreads.blogspot.com

3 What have you been up to this past year (please be as detailed as possible, because we actually want to know)?Working at Holmen High School in Holmen, WI. Where I try to turn kids on to reading. I love reading and I especially love to share books with young adults who like to read or turn a student on to reading that might not have read before. I also am an assistant photographer with Mueller Photography in La Crosse, WI which keeps me busy many of the weekends from May to October.

4 How much longer do you think you'll be doing what you're doing? I will always be taking pictures and sharing my love for reading with others, where and when I do that will be the question.

5 Why are you doing it? As I mentioned above I love to read, I go on adventures and have experiences through books that I would never, could never have (being that time travel is not possible and they don't yet install Internet feeds in our head-I've read Feed). I find life very inspiring and I love catching it in photographs. I love recording the history of my life and those of people around me.

6 What do you want to be doing? Reading or watching the Gilmore Girls Season 5 which I just picked up from the library last night or watching 24 Season 2 which a friend gave last night.

7 What's next in your life? Next month I am having surgery on my left foot that has been giving me issues for the last six or so months. I have a small bone fragment that has been hanging out and occassionally gives me pain, so I am having it removed in March. I am visiting New York City for the first time in over Easter Wknd (What should I do there? What can't be missed?)

8 How You Doin'? Great! I am surrounded by wonderful people and couldn't ask for more. God has truely blessed me.

9 What's the best book you read this year? Do I have to limit myself to just one???? I think I'll give my top 7 for 2006--in no particular order....

  • Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (I know these are two different books, but they really go together)--I even traveled to Cincinnati, OH from La Crosse, WI to meet the author--yes I am obsessed (but not as bad as some of the students I work with ;))
  • The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer--an awesome memoir
  • Nick and Norah's Infinate Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
  • I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (If I had to pick just one this would have to be it)--narrated by death, very creative, creepy and thought provoking
  • American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
  • An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (not just because John wrote, I loved it even before I fell in love with John and Hank)

10 Describe a perfect day? My perfect day would start somewhat early after a good night's sleep, it would occur during the summer. I would start the day in my backyard with a bowl of cereal and good book. I would stay out there until I got to hot. Then it would be time to hit the river with my husband and our kayaks (friends would be welcome, but not needed). We would spend the day on the river enjoying a nice Wisconsin day. For supper that night we would enjoy a nice grilled meal outside and for the evening's entertainment there would be a large fireworks display over the Mississippi River in La Crosse, WI where I would hang out with friends and family and take a lot of beautiful fireworks photos!

11 Assuming that all things come to an end...how do you think humans will go extinct? I think humans will eventually eat too much and eat themselves to death. I think we just like food too much and don't counter act that with activity.


12 How are you feeling about kids these days? Kids are good, but it will be a while yet before we have any of our own. It is a lot easier to hang out with the nieces and nephews and then return them :)

13 My Question: If you could travel through time, where would you go and why? (please for this questions puproses disregard the consequences of time travel)--this question is inspired by a recent discussion of Timeline by Michael Crichton I think I would travel to the time of Christ. I would like to think that I would be one of the people that would follow him and would have recognized him for who he is. I am not sure that I would have, but I like to think I would have. I also think it would have been interesting to be one of the women working for the right to vote and early feminist, but I am thankful for today and what they have done for us.

14 Ambrozzo tastes better than anything else, what does ambrozzo taste like? For me Ambrozzo tastes like a Chipotle Burrito made just the way I like it...Chicken, no beans, rice, lettuce, mild salsa, cheese and sour cream. Mmmmm, that is making me hungry just thinking about it.

15 If you were a cliché, what cliché would you be? Don't judge a book by its cover

16 What is your least favorite part of any given day? Getting out of bed

17 Do you enjoy science fiction? Sometimes

18 Cheese or Chocolate? Cheese (I'm from WI, you had to ask!)

19 Where would you live if you could live anywhere? In a motorhome traveling the country.

20 What was your first concert? Color Me Bad or Richard Marx, I can't remember which came first.

21 If you could start a business that would be instantly successful, what kind of business would it be? Reader's advisory/reviewing service (don't ask me what it would like, I just want to get paid to read)

22 Invisibility or Time Travel? Invisibility

23 What's wrong with the world? We don't accept people for who they are, we always want to change them.

I would love to hear your comments to the questions. So feel free to answer the questions on the comments!

No comments: